To maintain and care for a variety of birds within the park; to assist senior staff as needed; and to perform a variety of activities relative to the assigned area of responsibility. Positions at this level are initially expected to perform under immediate supervision, progressing to general supervision as knowledge operating of procedures is gained. This position is 40 hours a week and is open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Feed and water birds in and around existing aviaries; clean, sanitize, maintain, and repair aviaries as required; sweep, dust, and mop floors
- Prepare diets for birds; clean and maintain work area and food storage containers
- Maintain adequate records on daily activities; observe animal behavior for signs of illness, weight loss/gain or injury; report any signs of illness or injury
- Maintain bird’s daily routines according to established schedules and guidelines
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner
- Assist in directing the proper restraint, crating, moving, and uncrating of animals
Must Possess Ability to:
- Work with a variety of bird species
- Clean and maintain assigned aviaries enclosures as directed by lead aviculturists
- Operate a variety of animal equipment and tools in a safe and effective manner
- Implement diet instructions specified by lead aviculturists
- Maintain accurate records on bird behavior and prepare reports
- Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Certificates, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
- Must hold a valid driver license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Regularly required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb and reach overhead
- Frequently required to lift 50-75 lbs., unassisted
- Must be able to push and pull exhibit/animal doors with push/pull force of 50-75 lbs.
- Must be able to use heavy duty, 100ft. water hose and squeegee to clean out animal areas
- Must be able to rake and sweep; lift with shovel into trash cans; lift (assisted) trash cans onto truck; haul to dumpster; remove trash cans from truck and empty into dumpster
- Must be able to operate assigned equipment
- Must be able to work in all types of inclement weather
- Ability to work flexible hours on occasion
- Exposure to a variety of domestic, wild and/or endangered animals, animal odors and animal body fluids
- Exposure to all types of inclement weather conditions
- Sylvan Heights is in the rural community Scotland Neck, with staff commuting from Greenville(50min), Tarboro (20min), Raleigh (~1hr), or living in town. Sylvan Heights does have a student/intern house 5 minutes from the park where rooms are available to rent for staff members.
- Salary based on experience; however base salary is competitive for cost of living in Eastern North Carolina. Position includes health insurance, dental insurance, paid time off, and pension plan opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.