Beginning June 27, 2020, face coverings are required in all public spaces in North Carolina. Please plan to wear a face covering and practice social distancing when visiting Sylvan Heights Bird Park. Thanks for your cooperation and consideration for the safety of our staff and other visitors.
We are following North Carolina state guidelines for face coverings. For more information about the requirement, please read this document from the NC Department of Health and Human Services.
SYLVAN HEIGHTS WILL REOPEN TO ALL VISITORS ON MAY 23RD
Sylvan Heights Bird Park will be reopening most of our outdoor trails and exhibits to all visitors starting Saturday, May 23rd.
A few areas of the park will remain closed. Before you visit, please take a moment to read the very important Safety Guidelines and Q&A section below so you know what to expect when you arrive.
We are sincerely grateful for the support we’ve received from our members, donors, volunteers, and so many others during this difficult time. Thank you, and we hope to see you at the park soon!
Who can visit Sylvan Heights starting May 23rd?
In addition to Sylvan Heights members, the park will reopen to all visitors for general admission. We also welcome back members of our reciprocating facilities (the NC Zoo, the NC Aquariums, the WNC Nature Center, and the Carolina Raptor Center).
Which exhibits are open at the park?
Almost all of the park’s outdoor trails and aviaries will be open. Some wetland trails and boardwalks will also be open.
Is The Landing Zone open?
Yes, the Landing Zone will reopen starting May 23rd. We will be limiting the number of people in the Landing Zone at one time, so there may be a wait to enter at peak times.
Which areas are closed?Our Visitor Center, playground, and picnic areas will remain closed to ensure social distancing, as well as small portions of our outdoor trails. Although our Visitor Center is closed, admission to the gift shop will be permitted at a very limited capacity.
Keeper Talks and guided tours, including golf cart tours, are not available at this time.
What are the park’s hours of operation?
The park will be open Tuesday through Sunday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (check-in ends at 3:00 p.m.). Sylvan Heights Bird Park is closed on Mondays (except Memorial Day Monday).
- To allow for adequate social distancing within the park, we will be admitting visitors at a limited capacity of 60 people per hour. Please note that there may be a wait to enter the park during peak times. Sylvan Heights will be open Tuesday – Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Check-in begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m.
- We ask that visitors please maintain 6-foot social distancing guidelines while in the park, and follow directional signs and instructions.
- We request that visitors please wear face masks/coverings while in the park, especially while visiting The Landing Zone, Wings of the Tropics, and the gift shop.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout the park, and we ask guests to please use them as often as needed.
- If you are feeling ill or have been around someone with symptoms of COVID-19, please postpone your visit to protect others. We will not admit anyone exhibiting obvious signs of a contagious illness.
- Guests that have a higher risk of serious illness from COVID-19 are invited to visit at 9:00 a.m., when the park is typically less busy.
- Sylvan Heights staff will be required to wear face masks/coverings, regularly wash or sanitize their hands, and maintain a six-foot distance from others.
- Staff members will be routinely cleaning and sanitizing restrooms and other facilities throughout the day..
Purchase tickets online before you visit.
Purchase, renew, or upgrade your Sylvan Heights membership.